The roots of Herbanext Laboratories, Inc. date back to 1995 when Mr. Philip S. Cruz, an aquaculturist and agriculturist by profession, diversified his research interest into natural health products. In his personal quest to find natural cures for his health concerns on high cholesterol and high uric acid, Mr. Cruz studied the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum or Lingzhi, regarded as the “King of Herbs” in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Mr. Cruz got his breakthrough in 1997 after succeeding in the cultivation of the mushroom. In the following years, he collaborated with natural product researchers and medical practitioners in developing the mushroom into a nutraceutical product. In 2001, Herbanext Laboratories, Inc. was finally established.
During its early years of operation, Herbanext focused its business on the production of Ganoderma lucidum-based herbal formulations for addressing common lifestyle health issues in the Philippines such as diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension. With the help of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), the company in 2006 started its acquisition of advanced manufacturing equipment. In the same year, the company set up Daily Apple Distributions as its marketing arm under the “Daily Apple” brand. Herbanext has since broadened its product range to include a wide range of nutraceutical products, healthy beverages, and functional foods all utilizing locally grown medicinal herbs. Herbanext presently operates a 2,500 m2 cGMP-certified and Halal-accredited manufacturing plant in Bago City, Negros Occidental, with the first and only dedicated extraction and spray-drying facility for medicinal herbs in the country.
Located within 10 minutes’ drive from its manufacturing Plant are the organically certified grow-out farms of Herbanext. The Company currently farms and processes around 20 different medicinal herbs including Banaba (Lagerstroemia speciosa), Bitter Gourd (Momordica charantia), Cat’s whisker (Orthosiphon stamineus), Five-leaved Chaste Tree (Vitex negundo), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Green Chireta (Andrographis paniculata), Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa), Wild Tea (Ehretia microphylla), and Turmeric (Curcuma longa). Also located close to the Plant is the Company’s R&D farm which houses a raw material processing center, and the Herbanext Botanical Garden with a collection of over 200 medicinal and aromatic plants. At present, Herbanext is working closely with the Philippine Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and various research institutions in developing Philippine medicinal herbs into herbal supplements and herbal drugs for the local and export markets.
Harnessing medicinal herbs through science and technology
- Industry: Be the leading manufacturer of Philippine nutraceutical products through science-based formulas, customized raw materials, and modern processing technology.
- Products: Develop a portfolio of effective, affordable, and safe ingredients and products for the health needs of our clients, primarily the Filipino public.
- Research: Advance the scientific understanding of Philippine medicinal herbs through evidence-based research and through collaboration with other researchers from the academe, government, and private sector.
- Country: Help in nation building by providing sustainable livelihood to marginalized communities through the cultivation of medicinal herbs and the development of a socially and environmentally responsible supply chain.
- Environment: Help protect Philippine biodiversity by making valuable and sustainble economic use of its resources.
- Humanity: Create awareness on the holistic concept of wellness - mind, body and spirit - and influence society with such.
Our Core Values:
- Quality: What we do, we do well
- Leadership: Building a better tomorrow today
- Integrity: Trust and confidence is what we live for
- Innovation: There is always a better way
- Passion: Committed in heart and mind
- Productivity: Move fast and waste little
- Teamwork: Together we achieve more
- Caring for nature: Nature is the repository of our future discoveries
Our Quality Standards:
- We work with farmers to supply us the highest quality herbs.
- We maintain our own research farm for developing greener farming technologies.
- We carefully evaluate each ingredient we use and every supplier we work with.
- We are committed to products that have proven efficacy and are free of artificial substances and potentially harmful ingredients.
- We invest in our own manufacturing facilities and do not rely on the services of others.
- We invest in people and in research to attain and surpass our quality standards.